So, you’re interested in becoming an Accountant…check out your future career!
Academy College offers programs in Aviation, Business, and Computer Science; however, the history of the college is grounded in Accounting. Academy College’s history in Minneapolis and Saint Paul goes way back to 1936, when we were known as the Academy of Accountancy. We have grown in many directions since then, but Accounting remains at the foundation.
Indeed, there was a time when Accounting was many people’s idea of a “solid” career. Today, with the social media craze and the corresponding explosion of entrepreneurial activity, many people have come to see Accounting as a more “old-fashioned” profession with too many numbers!
And yet, Accounting is as strong and promising a career choice as it has ever been.
- According to the Federal Government’s Bureau of Labor Statistics, the 2017 median salary for all Accounting jobs is $69,350
- Growth outlookis expected to be faster than average for all other occupations.
- The Bachelor of Accounting degree at Academy College allows students to sit for the CPA exam.
|Quick Facts: Accountants and Auditors|
|2017 Median Pay||$69,350 per year
$33.34 per hour
|Typical Entry-Level Education||Bachelor's degree|
|Work Experience in a Related Occupation||None|
|Number of Jobs, 2016||1,397,700|
|Job Outlook, 2016-26||10% (Faster than average)|
|Employment Change, 2016-26||139,900|
There are many advantages that a career in Accounting can offer:
- Upward mobility (promotion)
- Lateral mobility (the ability to move across different types of industries)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook
Accounting BS Degree Program Outline
- Principles of Accounting I
- Principles of Accounting II
- Intermediate Accounting I
- Intermediate Accounting II
- Financial Statement Analysis
- Computerized Accounting
- Cost Accounting
- Business Management
- Money Management
Technical Course Electives
- Students may choose from the 1000 or above technical category courses except DT provided that prerequisites are met.
General Education Courses
- Written & Oral Communication (required)
- Select from the 1000 or above level courses. Students must choose a minimum of one (1) course from each discipline. Discipline areas are: Communications; Humanities; Math/Natural Science; Social Sciences.
- Select from the 3000 and above level courses. Students must choose a minimum of one (1) course from each discipline depending on prerequisites. Discipline areas are: Communications; Humanities; Math/Natural Science; Social Sciences.
Accounting & Business Major Courses
- Managerial Accounting
- Comprehensive Accounting Practicum
- Advanced Accounting
- Business Communication
- Economics of Money and Banking
- Law and Ethics of Business
- Financial Management